Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unusual Colours
StraightEgyptians.com Forum > Overview - Übersicht > Discussion - Diskussion
Anjuli Bai
Take a look at my purebred Arabian filly
dna tested black (black parents as well)
Siobhaan (Saba Mashaali x WS Night Silk) biggrin.gif

Have you ever seen such a colour with a purebred Arabian?

Pictures by S. Wind
Cheryl L

Striking color. Although, I would not call it blue roan, as she is the perfect example of a Maximum expressed Sabino.

http://sahr.homestead.com/

The above is the Sabino Arabian Horse Registry.
CenturyOak
very pretty! I had to look closer, it looked like she had a Japanese freezemark symbol on her buttcheek laugh.gif
Seglavi
Very pretty filly. Her mother is rather young ('06) (correct me if I am wrong) to have had two foals already.
Pam Studebaker
Anjuli Bai
ZITAT(Seglavi @ Aug 8 2010, 11:56 PM) *
Very pretty filly. Her mother is rather young ('06) (correct me if I am wrong) to have had two foals already.
Pam Studebaker

Yes, her breeder told me that her mother WS Night Silk has had a foal before. She's a very tall and strong mare.
Sakinah
QUOTE (Seglavi @ Aug 8 2010, 04:56 PM) *
Pam Studebaker

Wholly unsurprising as the breeder of this filly also started using one of her stallions for breeding when he was approximately 1.5 years old...... blink.gif
The stallion was foaled 2/2007 and had his first foal on the ground 8/2009.

Breeding babies to get babies seems to be her growing specialty....

I will say, however, Anjuli...this filly is quite striking and nicely built. You got yourself a good one. I like her!

Marie
vincentlaeven
Lovely horse i like it . thanks for sharing.
Bei aller Ehre für deine Vorliebe zu bunten Pferden... Körperbau wunderbar, Farbe echt nicht meins. Sieht aus, als hätte sie sich in Asche gewälzt und wäre richtig dreckig. Da krieg ich das Bedürfnis, mir eine große Flasche Shampoo zu nehmen und die Kleine mal so richtig durchzuwaschen.

Zum Glück sind Vorlieben verschieden wink.gif
karin
Kathrin, you could get a bit softer on the edges maybe? ohmy.gif

Karin
Sakinah
QUOTE (Kathrin K.I.M. @ Aug 14 2010, 11:21 AM) *
Bei aller Ehre für deine Vorliebe zu bunten Pferden... Körperbau wunderbar, Farbe echt nicht meins. Sieht aus, als hätte sie sich in Asche gewälzt und wäre richtig dreckig. Da krieg ich das Bedürfnis, mir eine große Flasche Shampoo zu nehmen und die Kleine mal so richtig durchzuwaschen.

On he bright side Kathrin, if she naturally looks dirty then it will be harder for observers to know when she really IS dirty smile.gif

As Anjuli well knows, I am not a fan of this filly's breeder by any means NOR do I believe in making any certain colors or patterns the priority in a breeding program. I'm of the mind that if they happen...fine. If they don't....no big deal.
However, I make it my policy to give credit where credit is due and, to that end, color aside, I do like this filly. I'm a butt person and this filly has a nice deep hip and actually has a butt. I see far too many horses with nothing in the hind end - weedy, short hipped, bad angles, no drive because they have no motor. I'd perhaps like to see the tail set on a bit higher but it's not too far off (and could just be the photos). She has a nice little head and the photos above don't really show that. I've seen other photos of this filly that do show her head better and although it looks somewhat blocky above that is actually an illusion created by the white on her muzzle. She has some REALLY cute tippy ears, I LOVE the black rimming around her eyes (she looks like she's wearing eyeliner! Too cute!) and her neck length is in balance with her body and of good shape. Her throatlatch could be a bit cleaner perhaps and it is quite possible that may come with maturity. She has a nice compact body that looks like it ties together nicely. Her legs appear clean and straight with pasterns of proper length. I gave up long ago trying to judge cannon bone length on babies as I discovered I'm just no good at it. I've not seen a good clear shot of her shoulder so I am unable to comment on that.

She has a few glitches that, for me, are minor and would not stop me from giving her serious consideration for purchase. The fact that she is such an interesting color, to me, is simply a nice bonus. But, then again, Lord knows I'm not above being controversial.

Marie
Anjuli Bai
ZITAT(Kathrin K.I.M. @ Aug 14 2010, 06:21 PM) *

laugh.gif Wenn Shushu hier ankommt, werde ich sie wohl sowieso erstmal baden (bei Pebbles hatte ich auch probiert, ob die weißen Flecken überhaupt echt sind).
Shushu hat noch ziemlich langes Fell, wie sie am Ende mal genau aussieht, wird sie wohl erst nächsten Sommer zeigen.
Die von der UC Davis sagten, dass sie im Sommer silbern und im Winter (bis auf die weißen Sabinoflecken) fast schwarz sein müsste.
Kathrin K.I.M.
ZITAT(karin @ Aug 14 2010, 07:25 PM) *
Kathrin, you could get a bit softer on the edges maybe? ohmy.gif

Karin

Hi Karin,
if i'd be rude you would realise it and I also think Marion can take it wink.gif

Well Marie, as you say, I will always consider a nice exterieur. @Anjuli Bai loves whatever ununsul color so I'm fine with that. I wouldn't buy this filly anyways as I do consider color and definately prefer the bays and chestnuts. I'm in the forunate situation to own some nice riding horses with a motor wink.gif so I wouldn't make it to the States just for that reason.
Btw, I used to own a purebred mare that was referred to as "she's got the prettiest face I've ever seen on a QH" by many trainers and vets... she was one gorgeous WP and LSS horse and a fairly nice Reiner.

Using a yearling colt for breeding bothers my in a way if he is used intensively. One mare wouldn't kill him thought it's not necessary to breed with a yearling. Morals do not matter for some people, as I know many breeders who cover 2yrs old girls - I'd call that child abuse... (maybe THAT was rude now Karin)
weber
Horse is my favorite animal.
i like horse riding.
smokygirl
Definetely not a blue roan lol. 1. Roan doesn't exist in pb arabians. 2. the horse has no roan characteristics. Roans are characterized by dark heads and legs from the knew down, and even roaning throughout the body. While white markings can occur, they are usually quite minimal. This filly is a perfect example of a maximum sabino, possibly with rabicano traits.
Anjuli Bai
ZITAT(smokygirl @ Sep 17 2010, 11:00 AM) *
Definetely not a blue roan lol. 1. Roan doesn't exist in pb arabians. 2. the horse has no roan characteristics. Roans are characterized by dark heads and legs from the knew down, and even roaning throughout the body. While white markings can occur, they are usually quite minimal. This filly is a perfect example of a maximum sabino, possibly with rabicano traits.

Yes, I know. smile.gif
My filly and her parents are member of a new study for the rabicano-gen in purebred Arabians (UC Davis).
She is maximum sabino and extrem rabicano. In winter she'll be nearly black but in summer silver.
Bsw. Shu-Shu is just in quarantine for her new home in Germany *dayscounting*
GNorman
QUOTE (Anjuli Bai @ Sep 19 2010, 08:30 PM) *
Yes, I know. smile.gif
My filly and her parents are member of a new study for the rabicano-gen in purebred Arabians (UC Davis).
She is maximum sabino and extrem rabicano. In winter she'll be nearly black but in summer silver.
Bsw. Shu-Shu is just in quarantine for her new home in Germany *dayscounting*

Have they located a Sabino gene other than SB1? I would like to know more about the test for rabicano.
Anjuli Bai
ZITAT(GNorman @ Sep 20 2010, 12:46 AM) *
Have they located a Sabino gene other than SB1? I would like to know more about the test for rabicano.

No, they didn' find the sabino-gen for purebreds til now. Shushu is in this project as well like a lot of other horses from elementsarabians.
For the rabicano-gen UC Davis is looking for purebred rabicano-familys at this moment to start the researches.
The sire of my filly is black, her mom is black sabino and rabicano (but not so much like the foal).
The fullbrother of my filly is black with only a few white hairs.
GNorman
QUOTE (Anjuli Bai @ Sep 20 2010, 02:10 PM) *
No, they didn' find the sabino-gen for purebreds til now. Shushu is in this project as well like a lot of other horses from elementsarabians.
For the rabicano-gen UC Davis is looking for purebred rabicano-familys at this moment to start the researches.
The sire of my filly is black, her mom is black sabino and rabicano (but not so much like the foal).
The fullbrother of my filly is black with only a few white hairs.

That is interesting. I have some black sabino-rabicanos that I can submit samples for. Many also from the breeding program they came from.

I first became aware of this coloring with the extreme rabicano with the first one that I purchased back in 2000.

Click to view attachment

His underside has the sabino and there are also sabino spots on one leg, below the knee. I thought his coloring was the most unusual for a purebred Arabian and a SE.

Click to view attachment

His roaning is actually so heavy that the Registry changed his registered color to Roan when he was exported to France. He sired 2 black sabino - rabicano sons before he was exported. I just love this color and he is succeeding in Endurance. Several of his offspring are under saddle now and they have his stamina, speed and heart.

Click to view attachment

Do you know who to contact at UC Davis?

Anjuli Bai
ZITAT(GNorman @ Sep 20 2010, 06:58 PM) *
His roaning is actually so heavy that the Registry changed his registered color to Roan when he was exported to France. He sired 2 black sabino - rabicano sons before he was exported. I just love this color and he is succeeding in Endurance. Several of his offspring are under saddle now and they have his stamina, speed and heart.

Click to view attachment

Do you know who to contact at UC Davis?

Where is he in France and who is the owner (website)?

Here's the website of UC Davis (horsegenetics)
http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/genomic/
and the research group http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Horsemap/
GNorman
His owner's site link: Laurence Of Arabians
She also owns his maternal half sister that has such markings smile.gif

The son that I still have has more white on the face and legs, and his sire's belly spots and "skunk" tail as well as the roaning in the ribs.

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.