Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rabdan
StraightEgyptians.com Forum > Overview - ‹bersicht > Discussion - Diskussion
david woodhouse
I am looking for some information on an Arab horse by the name of Rabdan, in about the 18th century. I thought the name was Rabdan El Azrak, but when i searched on this name, I found I was getting references to more recent dates - more like late 19th / early 20th century. Any help gratefully received. (I don't need a lot of information - mainly correct name, approximate dates, country/place, etc.)

David Woodhouse, UAE
HADHAD ARABIANS
QUOTE (david woodhouse @ Jul 23 2012, 05:01 AM) *
I am looking for some information on an Arab horse by the name of Rabdan, in about the 18th century. I thought the name was Rabdan El Azrak, but when i searched on this name, I found I was getting references to more recent dates - more like late 19th / early 20th century. Any help gratefully received. (I don't need a lot of information - mainly correct name, approximate dates, country/place, etc.)

David Woodhouse, UAE

gbfahne.gif
Dear Mr. Woodhouse,

I have two files talking about the stallion RABDAN.
If you send to me your e-mail address, I can send to you the files in the enclosure.

Best regards,
Domenico Tocchi

HADHAD ARABIANS
www.hadhad-arabians.com
HLM
QUOTE (david woodhouse @ Jul 23 2012, 07:01 AM) *

David Woodhouse, UAE

David

there is Rabdan (1818) bought in Syria for Prince Sangusko. No record of offsrping
there is Rabdan (1850) FRSB 2/P1120- a Kuhaylan,Ajuz importred to France from Arabia in 1854. He bred on
There is Rabdan ( El Khascibi) (1840)- fropm the stock of Abbas Pasha. He bred on

There is Rabdan (DB) Ri-7949-2- A Rabdan Khashiban- Owned by Ad-Dahham of the Muntifiq of Nedj. He bred on

There is Rabdan (Rabdan El-Azarak) (1897) bred by Prince Ahmed Kemal Pasha,Egypt. Went to Pr. Mohammed Ali and thence to RAS in 1921. He bred on. He died 9/7/1923

Hansi
JoeFerriss
QUOTE (david woodhouse @ Jul 23 2012, 06:01 AM) *

David Woodhouse, UAE

It appears the horse you are referring to is the grey stallion Rabdan born 1897 bred by and used and in the stud of Ahmed Pasha Kemal, then he went to Prince Mohammed Ali Tewfik, who later provided him as an old horse to the RAS. The term El Azrak is Arabic for "the grey" and is sometimes tagged on to the end of a horse's name to further distinguish it. The full term Rabdan El Azrak appears in the Raswan Index and also in the Traveler's Rest Catalog who once owned and used Rabdan's son Nasr [Manial]. Rabdan's sire Dahman is also sometimes listed as Dahman El Azrak [Dahman the grey].

Multiple sources need to be consulted sometimes in looking up information for these early ancestors because the same horse can have different names. One example is the stallion Saklawi II, most known as the sire line of Nazeer. However he is also known as Farhan and that is how he was referred to in the Humphrey letters to W.R. Brown on his 1932 visit to Egypt and also in the pedigrees of the Babson imports Fadl and Maaroufa. Even more confusing is that while we know Saklawi II's sire as Saklawi I, he is also listed only as Sakloui El Kebir but is the same horse as Saklawi I. So while "Rabdan" is the name recorded in the RAS/EAO stud books he also is identified as Rabdan El Azrak and I am not sure of the first origin of that additional description.

If you are a subscriber of the AHA DataSource, and you run a progeny list for Rabdan you should know that there are two errors in it. That reference gives Rabdan as the sire of the mare Bint Dalal [Egypt*90] who is in Inshass pedigrees, however that is an error because Bint Dalal [Egypt*90] is sired by Rabdan's son Hadban instead. Also the progeny lists the imported colt Silver Yew as being by Rabdan but that is not possible because Silver Yew was born in 1932 and Rabdan, as Hansi notes above, died in 1923. Silver Yew was instead sired by Rabdan's son Ibn Rabdan who was the main RAS stallion during the time of that importation.

For further information about Rabdan, you can consult Lady Anne Blunt Journals And Correspondence 1878-1917 since she saw him several times and describes him. Also when reviewing pedigrees there is a free online resource for comparisons which is the online Roster at www.alkhamsa.org. It sometimes has additional information on early ancestors of some Egyptian horses.

Attached is a photo of Rabdan in old age at the RAS...

Click to view attachment
Dr Daniel Wigger
Hat off, Joe. You are a living library!
HLM
QUOTE (JoeFerriss @ Jul 23 2012, 04:56 PM) *
It appears the horse you are referring to is the grey stallion Rabdan born 1897 bred by and used and in the stud of Ahmed Pasha Kemal, then he went to Prince Mohammed Ali Tewfik, who later provided him as an old horse to the RAS. The term El Azrak is Arabic for "the grey" and is sometimes tagged on to the end of a horse's name to further distinguish it. The full term Rabdan El Azrak appears in the Raswan Index and also in the Traveler's Rest Catalog who once owned and used Rabdan's son Nasr [Manial]. Rabdan's sire Dahman is also sometimes listed as Dahman El Azrak [Dahman the grey].

Multiple sources need to be consulted sometimes in looking up information for these early ancestors because the same horse can have different names. One example is the stallion Saklawi II, most known as the sire line of Nazeer. However he is also known as Farhan and that is how he was referred to in the Humphrey letters to W.R. Brown on his 1932 visit to Egypt and also in the pedigrees of the Babson imports Fadl and Maaroufa. Even more confusing is that while we know Saklawi II's sire as Saklawi I, he is also listed only as Sakloui El Kebir but is the same horse as Saklawi I. So while "Rabdan" is the name recorded in the RAS/EAO stud books he also is identified as Rabdan El Azrak and I am not sure of the first origin of that additional description.

If you are a subscriber of the AHA DataSource, and you run a progeny list for Rabdan you should know that there are two errors in it. That reference gives Rabdan as the sire of the mare Bint Dalal [Egypt*90] who is in Inshass pedigrees, however that is an error because Bint Dalal [Egypt*90] is sired by Rabdan's son Hadban instead. Also the progeny lists the imported colt Silver Yew as being by Rabdan but that is not possible because Silver Yew was born in 1932 and Rabdan, as Hansi notes above, died in 1923. Silver Yew was instead sired by Rabdan's son Ibn Rabdan who was the main RAS stallion during the time of that importation.

For further information about Rabdan, you can consult Lady Anne Blunt Journals And Correspondence 1878-1917 since she saw him several times and describes him. Also when reviewing pedigrees there is a free online resource for comparisons which is the online Roster at www.alkhamsa.org. It sometimes has additional information on early ancestors of some Egyptian horses.

Attached is a photo of Rabdan in old age at the RAS...

Click to view attachment

Hi Joe

I agree. there are other errors in that database as well as omissions of many. Its wise to check or trace some more, eh.

Hansi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.