Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Protective Mare
StraightEgyptians.com Forum > Overview - Übersicht > Discussion - Diskussion
Jakes
I recently had an experience with my 15 year old arab mare that really asstonished me. I have had this mare for the last 5 years and have bonded really strongly with her. I ride her quite offten and we have done various pleasure rides together.
The other day, we went on an outride in the country side with a group of other horses. After we returned to the stables, we unsaddled, and turned the horses loose in a grass padock. All us riders were chatting away next to the paddock and one of my friends and I got started in a friendly fight, chasing each other around on the grass. My friend had just tackelled me on the grass and ofcourse I was shouting, however, the next thing we saw was my mare flying over the paddock fence (about 1m high) and really came for my friend, huh.gif flattening the ears and showing her teeth! He made a scramble for it and she quickly stopped after he backed off and she quickly started to grase again as if nothing happened. smile.gif Everyboddy was so suprised by her behaviour - most of all me!
Is this natural for a horse to bond to closely with a human that they will actually try and protect them in cases such as this or would this only be a one off incident?
In any event, all my friends really think different now about 'those hot blooded arabs', even if she only proved their point - literally!
Patricia Hampton
I LOVE IT! For all their delicate looking beauty these horses were bred for centuries as war horses and were reputed to not just carry their masters into battle but to fight for them with hooves and teeth. They were said to stand over a fallen rider and protect him.

I read a really funny post somewhere a few years ago. Some kids decided it would be fun to play knights on horse back. They obtained foam swords and spears and were having a great time with pretend fights. One of the kids was riding an Arab. His horse got so into the role that its ears went back and it began biting at another horse whose rider was attacking. The horse was the Arab's best friend and stable mate. The child had to find another mount for war games.
barbara.gregory
Monty Roberts had a similar experience (don't think the horse was an Arab so not just our beloved breed who are protective). He was doing "join up" with a mare and he was at one side of the round pen and the horse at the other. He got his assistant to bring the saddle in and leave it in the middle of the ring for the mare to sniff. As the assisstant walked away from the saddle the mare put her ears right back, bared her teeth and raced at Monty. He thought the mare was going to attack him so he croched down and put his arms across his head. The mare stopped in front of him and used her body to shield him from the "thing in the middle" as if he was her foal, now that really is join up with a strange horse!

Regards

Barbara
Birthe
Oh these wonderful arabs!

Once I should ride a hunt, one of the masters got ill and I was asked to ride master instead of her. At that point I allready had decided, that this hunt would be my last because neither my mare or I really liked to jump anymore, but still I was stupid enough to ride one last hunt...!!!
The hunt was terrible, my mare did not like 30 horses behind her. I tried me best to calm her down and we rode for 2 hours and I think she felt like me: never a hunt again! At the last fence she stopped - you know, me thinking "she is not going to jump, she do not want to anymore". But then she DID jump, me falling of hurting my bag very bad and unable to move. But then my mare did something unusual...she stopped after a short galop without me, turning around and came back to me, standing over me as if she wanted to protect me (the other 30 horses came all in galop ready to jump the fence where I was lying behind).
Yes this may sound like "the black stallion" or something, but in fact it did happend, and I can´t decribe how touched I was (still is!). A horse doing something like this for you...I have a friend for life, and so has she! My beloved mare - my ARABIAN beloved mare smile.gif She is so wonderful laugh.gif

Birthe.
Song of Egypt Arabians
I'd like to toss in my little experience...

A couple of years back, I was working with a mare (no longer one of my own) that was at my farm. This mare had always been incredibly difficult, hot headed, and all around dangerous to be with. (the type of arabian that gives others such a bad name.) The problem with her was that in one minute, everything would be perfectly fine, and then in the next second, she would explode. It wasn't that she was dumb, she just genuinely enjoyed hurting people. We tried everything with her. Every conceivable training and imprinting technique. The mare simply despised every human that ever got close to her, and would literally inflict damage upon herself than to allow anyone to do anything with her. Another one of her traits, was that she was horribly aggressive towards other horses. Not just simple dominance play, but literally trying to tear another horse apart, and she would maliciously attack any baby that was not her own. So we had to be very careful with who was put with her. We had our Abraxas Halimaar daughter with her, simply because they had already spent a couple of years together before coming to our place, and although the mare was very dominant, she didn't really try to hurt the Abraxas Halimaar daughter like she would other mares.

You couldn't teach this mare to accept anything, because she would just get worse and worse at it. One month she would be perfectly fine at being tied, and then the next month she would half break her neck in her explosive rages. I didn't fully understand what was happening at the time, so I didn't quite comprehend the situation with a mare that was geniunely mentally unstable. I was new with dealing with horses, and I had grown up thinking that there were no bad horses, just bad people who mistreated horses. I thought with enough love and positive handling I could 'fix' her. It wasn't until later when other people (breeders, trainers, vets and their professors) who had been dealing with horses for 20, 30, 40 years who had dealt with all types of breeds, including arabians, told me what it really was... but that was only after the following incident.

Towards the end of my learning experience with this mare, I was preparing to worm her. I had wormed her close to a dozen times over the period that I had had her, and I never had any trouble with her in that aspect. She had never given any hint that she found what I was doing distasteful. I use flavored wormers, and she always seemed to really enjoy it, like she would a treat or something. But when I inserted the wormer, she did exactly what everyone else around me had been warning me she would do eventually, but I hadn't wanted to believe them. She snapped.

She yanked back hard and fast enough that the lead rope ripped from my hands, reared back on her hind legs, pinned her ears, and literally came DOWN on top of me. Trying to pound me into the ground. My father was with me at the time, standing beside me, and he made a grap for the lead rope to yank her away, but not before she brought all her weight from a rearing position, down directly on top of my foot.

I've been kicked, I've been stomped, thrown into walls, dragged across gravel, gotten my hands tangled up in a halter and dragged across several acres, bitten, thrown, but I have never been in as much agony as I was in that moment. I'm curled on the ground, screaming bloody murder, and here comes Marley, my sweet, innocent, docile Abraxas Halimaar daughter who's had the crap kicked out her by this other mare more times than not, at full speed. I didn't actually see her coming, as I was a little more preoccupied with finding out whether or not my foot was still attached to my body (it sure didn't feel like it was) but all of a sudden I hear her concerned nickering, and the light from the sun is blotted out, and I look up, and she is literally standing over me. I am staring up at the underside of her chest, with both legs braced on either side, and she is turned facing the other mare, just daring her to come back. I was so shocked it didn't even occur to me to be concerned about the fact I was underneath her for a few moments. When I finally dragged myself out from underneath her, she starts that low nervous nickering again, and starts licking the back of my neck and shoulders. She's one of those mares that likes to lick everybody like a dog would so I didn't think twice about it. I pulled myself up off the ground by grabbing a handful of her mane. We were out in the middle of a paddock, so there was nothing else out there to use to get myself up, and my father was occupied with controlling the mare, who was back to grazing, and acting as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

I kept my arms wrapped around Marley's neck for a little while, and once I had determined that I could still walk - somewhat - I hobbled over to gate with her right walking beside me the entire time. I swear, words couldn't express how much I loved that mare in that moment. And she was young at that time. No more than 6 years old, and still a maiden. Had never had a baby. But she treated me like I was hers in those few moments it took me to recover from the other mare's attack.

It wasn't until late that night after I had taken a shower that I felt a burning sensation on the back of my neck. When I checked it in the mirror, it took me a moment to realize what it was. When the mare had yanked away from me so quickly, ripping the nylon lead rop from my hands, the force of it had caused the tail to snap back and wrap around my neck, leaving a seriously nasty looking rope burn. Don't ask me how it happened, I'm still not sure. I didn't feel it when it happened. But I think Marley knew it was there, given the attention she gave the back of my neck when I was on the ground. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking. All I know is she has a very special place in my heart, because she did something that I thought no horse would ever do. She protected me when I was hurt, even if it meant she was going to get thrashed by that crazy mare. And she tried to take care of me in her own special way afterwards. Trying to make the pain go away.

To this day, when people ask me why I chose to continue to work with arabians, I relay that story. Most don't believe me, they think I'm just making it up, but those that really know me, and know I don't lie about things like this, it makes them stop and think, and maybe, just maybe, it plants a little seed in their brains that will later bring them back around to my door, asking me if I have any arabians for sale... Particularly, one of Marley's babies! (wink)

Rachel Peters
Song of Egypt Arabians
http://www.songofegypt.com

"... Proudly standing sons of Ansata Ibn Halima, Ansata Imperial, Ansata Shah Zaman, and Makhsous... "
Marsina
Time to chime in:

I had offered to exercise a pony for a neighbor (close to where I boarded my Arab years ago). I had ridden the pony for awhile when I did a really dumb thing...there's this trick that my Arab gelding knows...we call it "No hands, No feet". All of a sudden I dropped the reins and said "No hands!" and then I flung my feet out to the side and said "No feet!"...well, I didn't think that this pony would be spooked at what I was doing, but he was...he flew right out from under me and as I fell I had my breath knocked out of me for the first time in my life--scared me seriously!! Some people drove by and saw me lying in the field and came to my aid (I was fairly young) and got me out of the field, my saddle off the pony--right as it was about to role with it on--and calmed me down. I was full of tears and was terribly frightened. At this same time they were feeding all the horses in the barn where I boarded and I decided to go see MY BABY after that monsterous experience. He was the last one to head for the barn, but as he saw me walking he stopped and let me put my arms around him and cry on his shoulder...he didn't once budge to go and eat while I was talking with him. After a few minutes I realized that he had stayed with me regardless of feeding time and I patted him and told him he could go and eat...he looked at me to double check that I was okay and then started walking.

He also defended my mom against a dog while she was riding on a trail one time--the dog rushed the group of riders and he arched his neck and reared up at the dog...scaring the dog off.

My gelding really loves me and my mom...and we love him dearly--give him the best care possible and love on him lots...I hope he lives another 10 years in great health (current age of 26) smile.gif
JennyS
This thread was sent to me by my good friend, Pat Hampton...Thanks Pat smile.gif So I decided to part-take here.

Jakes YES these wonderful equines of ours are truly faithful friends. I could imagine how proud inside you must have felt when your mare did this even though it scared your friend. It's exciting to know how close they really are to you and in times of trouble they will protect and suprise you with their human like LOVE for us wub.gif

Rachel, you are so very blessed to have had Marley there to protect you. You would probably not be here if she hadn't stepped in to help you. What stories!! I would want a Marley foal too... wink.gif

I have had many experiences with a part-Arabian gelding I had for 27 years. Time after time he showed to me that HE was MY protector when times got tough and I miss him terribly to this day, but am thankful that I was blessed to have him at all wub.gif

I have a book called, Chicken Soup for the Horse Lovers Soul with so many fascinating stories of how horses do wonderful things. If you have a chance to get a copy of this book I encourage you to...it's GREAT! I will just re-tell one story that struck a cord in me. I won't tell it word for word as it would be to long, but just enough smile.gif

This is a story about a gal who lived up in Alaska with her horse and there are many MORE unusal things they deal with up there, then we do in the lower 48 here...one in particular is coming across a MOOSE! (now my sister lived up in Alaska for many years and once coming home from a walk with her dogs came across a Moose in her driveway and had to stay away for over an hour before she could get back to her home as you don't mess around with them blink.gif )
Anyways back to the story.... tongue.gif

Dustee was this gals horse and he was fearful of the Moose when he was in his corral. She had witnessed his panic many times when the Moose would come close. But in all the years they had been there, the Moose had never posed a serious problem nor hurt anyone. She was out riding when she noticed Dustee might have something in his hoof. So she started to pick it out when all of a sudden the hair of her neck stood up and she felt like they were being watched.. ph34r.gif ...she turned her head slowly and there was an angry Moose! She stood about 15 feet away, teeth bared and ears flat. Standing 6 feet tall and on ground level she probably looked 15 feet tall...She charged! Then she felt Dustee's leg leave her and in a second he had jumped up and landed with his legs squarely around his owner--she was under his belly as she watched this gelding who repeatedly shown he was he was deathly afraid of Moose, snake his neck at the Moose. He assumed the posture of the Moose and stood stock-still with his ears back and teeth bared at the Moose. They were almost nose to nose staring at each other with anger. Then her calf appeared and walked past them and into the brush. Finally the Moose gave up and returned to the bush with her calf. Dustee looked under his belly as if to say, hey it's okay now, you can come out....ahhhh wub.gif Words couldn't express the kindess that came from his eyes and the Love that was shown...He quietly waited until she mounted again and they road back home. For bravery above and beyond the call of duty, she felt he deserved a metal, but the best she could do is award him with the trophy of her heart and she thinks he understood. She will never forget..

What a story and I look forward to hearing more here if you have some...Oh and get the book too

Thanks for letting me share too smile.gif I don't have straight Egyptians, nor any Arabians right now, but Pat shares her horses with me when I get over to her place and some other friends. Arabians are in my heart forever...well I guess Equines period wub.gif

My best,
Jenny smile.gif
Song of Egypt Arabians
Jenny, I loved that story about the moose! I've been up in Alaska several times, and it is in my opinion one of the most beautiful places in the world. And I know first hand how incredibly massive those moose are, even the females. And everybody knows to steer clear of them when they have those babies at their side.

It's amazing how many stories go back in time in regards to horses protecting those they care about. I personally love the story of the original bloody-shouldered mare.

I know of several different people who have talked about situations with their stallions, where when they are out walking with their boys and they come across a snake or a feral dog. I remember when we first got our Doberman, my Ansata Imperial son didn't want that dog near me. He didn't have a problem with the dog if I wasn't nearby. Imeer just ignored him if he went into his pasture... but if I was there, it was an entirely different ball game.

The relationship between human and horse (particularly a woman and a horse) can be an extraordinary bond. It's something I think a part of me used to believe was just a fairy tale, not realistic, even though I had always been a horse nut. It wasn't until I got my own horses, and started seeing it, experiencing it, for myself that I finally understood it. Now I wouldn't trade those moments for anything.

Rachel Peters
Song of Egypt Arabians
http://www.songofegypt.com

"... Proudly standing sons of Ansata Ibn Halima, Ansata Imperial, Ansata Shah Zaman, and Makhsous... "
templarcroftarabians
gbfahne.gif Gee, some great examples of the Arabians courage and dedication on this thread. I had a very recent example here at Templar Croft when letting my mares out through an intermediate gate in our fields. One of the mares was a little too anxious to get through the opening and forcefully barged the gate against me knocking me over and completely winding and stunning me. When I came to, my gelding Shabanaboud ( a son of the famous Aboud) was standing right over me and actually licking my face. Presumably he had moved right in to protect me from the other mares exiting through the now totally open gate. When I got up and rather gingerely made my way out of the fields, he accompanied me all the way to the stable block apparently to ensure that I made it to a place of safety. What a boy!This is not the first time that Shabanaboud has also provided either protection for, or guidance to, some of my young horses in potentially dangerous situations. He seems to sense when danger is present and on instinct invariably responds positively to the situation. He was a rejected foal (his mother almost killed him just after he was born) and we all helped to bottle feed and raise him. Rather than being a "spoiled boy" with behavioral problems as a result, he has matured to being a gelding who appears to want to repay those who helped him in his greatest hours, days and weeks of need.
Yet another example of the love and dedication of these Arabian horses to their owners. Sincereley, Dot Brandie, Templar Croft Arabians, Scotland.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.