Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Crosses For Al Matrabbi Line?
StraightEgyptians.com Forum > Overview - ‹bersicht > Discussion - Diskussion
Pages: 1, 2
Sharabia
Hi All,

Each one of you, whether seasoned, in the middle, or young ones, are a great source of differing opinions that stimulate me into thought provoking analysis on my horses...

So, I would love to hear what your opinions on Al Matrabbi and his get/grand get are. I know some did well, and I want to hear opinions from everyone! biggrin.gif

What lines do you feel are a great match for this particular line and why?

What problems do you see come into play if it is too closely line bred? I have noticed that some offspring's hind quarters are not as powerful as I like, but some are, is this also your finding? Could you post a picture to illustrate this?

I do have a colt with this line, so thanks so much in advance for your valuable opinions! I will take them into consideration when determining his future...

Sincerely,
Sheila Bautz
Nancy Bourque/Ibriz Arabians
I believe that I posted this picture elsewhere on this site, but here is a picture of the Al Metrabbi grandaughter Mi Daani (Makour x Daaliverance). I think this picture shows why I like her so well. She moves like a dream and she is just beautiful. When I got this mare I was a little uncertain about how these lines would cross with my stallion but the foal just blew me away. We are expecting another one in June. biggrin.gif
Sorry, forgot to attach the picture!
ALF
I used to show a neat Rofann son out of a Al Metrabbi daughter who was really neat. I'd say that is a good cross.
Sharabia
Alf, I don't have access to a pedigree search yet. Would you be so kind as to expand on Rofann's lineage? Forgive my ignorance, please! Also, what did you like about the horse most? What would you consider where her/his strong points? Thanks in advance!

Nancy, who is your stud, his lines, that you bred to this mare? What do you like most about the resulting foal? Thanks so much!

A huge thanks also to Dale, who has given me much guidance and invaluable suggestions for me to consider in a non-invasive way regarding my breeding program! His humble knowledge is allowing me to re-evaluate and deeply think about this years breeding season...

I do know that an Al Matrabbi son out of Egyptian Belle received a legion of honor in performance at the 2002 EE. However, I can not recall the geldings name, nor the owner, off the top of my head. I thought this was a good cross, and I do have Egyptian Belle lines...

My colt, Al Matrabbi grandson, is out of my Ibn Safinaz daughter. I was hoping to get some height and more of an english look from his sire, and I am not disappointed so far, coupled with my mare's lovely head and hind quarters. His legs are very correct, and his dam's dishy head has come through! However, I am still waiting to see what his hind quarter will develop into, as he is currently going through his awkward, gankly stage.

I have been told that many of the Al Matrabbi lines have been exported overseas as well? And, they seem to do very well in english? Any further thoughts on this?

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I greatly appreciate it!
Sheila Bautz
Sharabia
By the way, Nancy, lovely!

Sincerely,
Sheila Bautz
ALF
Sharabia, Rofann was by *Soufian (Alaa El Din x Moniet El Nefous) and out of Bint Romanaa (*Morafic x Romanna II by Sameh).

As for his strong points (not Rofann, but the son that I handled), he had an excellent topline and great hindlegs. He was a pleasant mover and had a wonderful disposition. I started him under saddle at over ten years of age and he was easy to start and loved it. He had country english type motion or could have been a nice hunter.
Sharabia
Ah yes! Soufian, Alaa El Din influence with Moniet El Nefous! Egyptian Belle is by Shamruk out of Moniet Il Mandil (by Soufian) also... Thanks for the reply, Alf! biggrin.gif

I too have noticed that the legs are very correct...

With Warm Regards,
Sheila
Hi Sheila:

I seem to remember that you are from western Canada. I wondered if your stallion is sired by Jeanette Jardine's El Matrabb? I have never seen him but Jeanette thought he was wonderful and his pictures were beautiful. I was also with her when she talked to Tom McNair about him and Tom had only wonderful comments on him and his ability as a sire. We bred Mi Daani to our own stallion who is by Ansata Halim Shah. The filly got a wonderful head and neck. That's what you notice first, but she also got a short strong top line and long correct legs. She has a very bold trot as well. I am very anxious to see if the next foal also has these qualities. You never know about these things!
Sharabia
Hi Nancy!

Yes, El Matrabb is the sire of my colt!

El Matrabb was very impressive in my eyes. He was quite tall to begin with, and his presence made him enormous! It was out of this world! I don't believe I ever seen him walk, until undersaddle, instead, he had a jig or prance to him that literally brought tears to my eyes. I also watched as Jeanette's daughter, a tiny 13 year old girl at the time, presented him to me! He was all horse, but very respectful of his young handler. She also rode him english, I believe, and Native Costume.

I loved El Matrabb! However, with no offense meant by my next statement, his head was a little plain but in no way unattractive, and his hind quarter wasn't as large as I like, though it was not terrible. This is not to take away from this stallion, as we all know that horses have what we personally consider their weak points, including in our own herds!!! I felt - and prayed - that he and my mare would contribute to the foal their strongest points.

Also, El Matrabb's legs were perfection in my eyes, and they had length to them which lacks in my mare I bred him to. That was one of the reasons for breeding to him, as I wanted him to influence the length of leg and imprint the correctness, as Ramza's legs are very correct as well. El Matrabb also truly looked like an Olympic athlete.

I haven't talked to Jeanette in quite a while, as we lost contact, perhaps partly due to our very busy schedules. However, I recently heard El Matrabb unfortunately passed away...

Sincerely,
Sheila Bautz
Sharabia
PS Nancy, could you send me some pictures of your filly's? What are your plans for them?

Sheila
Hi Sheila:

I also heard that El Matrabb passed away from colic. I have heard that Jeanette also has an El Hilal son. Have you by any chance seen him?

This evening I'll look through my photo box and see if I can find any pictures of the filly. Thanks for asking about her. Do you have pictures of your colt you can post? I'd love to see them.
Sharabia
Hi Nancy,

I too will dig up some pictures to post. My scanner is on the blink, so I do have photos I need to have scanned for various reasons. I will go to my sister's today to get them scanned!

I have not yet seen the stallion Jeanette has now, though I have been asked by a few people if I have... So, I can't place an opinion on him, as I have only seen photos.

Also Nancy, where exactly are you located?

Sincerely,
Sheila Bautz
sbautz@sasktel.net
bettyk
Sharabia,

The gelding you're thinking of is El Gohara, owned by Amy Vulmer-Vogel.
michele013
Hi,

I own an Al Matrabbi daughter in fact a full sister to El Matrabb. She had foals from different stallions and they were all quite nice, the one that I prefer are from my El Halimaar son Hal Amir MA. She just foaled a chestnut filly this week with a lot of white, so I think she carries a lot of white in her background as it is not the first time that her foal have white. She has been bred to an Ibn Safinaz son, a Serr Maariner son, an El Halimaar son and the last one from a AK Halif son.
She is a stong mare typical of her family not as refine as her brother. She is a good mother and very calm. She is my best broodmare.

Hope I've been of little help.
Michele
www.buveursdevent.com
Sharabia
Yes, Bettyk! You are right! The thing about El Gohara that stands out in my mind was his full body, lovely head and legs, and he was shown english if I remember correctly...

It seems this line does very well with english, something I want to incorporate more in my herd as many of my horses tend to lean towards western. I use to be all about western, until a couple years ago when I decided to try my hand at english riding, and wow! I now appreciate both disciplines equally, and so would like both types here - with a goal to breed a horse that CAN compete at halter, western and english classes without losing what I feel is important, such as great legs, etc. I believe my beloved Imperial Saturn daughter had this formula, who I lost a couple of years ago, as she could have done all three. And although I want to incorporate more Imperial, I also now have a goal to create what I feel is a "Sharabia Acres" horse, taking the best lines I admire and can afford, and carefully breeding for this. Of course, it will take many years, but will be worth the wait! biggrin.gif

This is why I also really appreciate everyone's input here about "their" favorite lines, old or new, and am very interested in seeing and hearing about the results! smile.gif

Michele013, a full sister! What does she look like? And, when you bred to the El Halimaar son, what is it you like the most about this foal? What were your goals when incorporating that line, if you don't mind me asking? You also mentioned Ibn Safinaz, have you seen how this cross turned out and did you like it and what did you like about it? Currently, I have alot of Alaa El Din influence, which I absolutely love and am dedicated to, but do believe in keeping an open mind so as to create the perfect type that I like! (I also see you posted your website, and I will be visiting it here this weekend!)

Thanks to all who posted! I will check back for more late afternoon, and will try to post my pictures!!!

With Gratitude,
Sheila Bautz
Sharabia Acres
michele013
Hi,

What I did like the most with the El Halimaar blood is the longer neck, the bigger eyes, the straighter back, Arabiyi have strong , straight legs, I have quite a bit of AlaaEl Din in my herds but all females, the foal she had this year is coming from MH Imhotep and he is out of an AlaaEl Din grandaughter, for now it is a cute foal, I'll see later what she will looks like.
I do know what the Ibn Safinaz looks like, I have kept one daughter, she looks like her mom strong nice looking mare.
I bought Arabiyi because I liked El Matrabb so much, beeing the full sister I said to myself that she should give foals similar to him. She is really different from him doesn't looks like him at all.

will love to see your picture

Michele
Sharabia
Hi All!

Thanks Michelle, been to your website. As it turns out, we do have similiar lines, as I have a V Shah El Sareei son here!

Anyways, here is an early picture of what El Matrabb and my Ibn Safinaz mare created together. I too am waiting to see what he looks like in a few months...
Sharabia
The photo above is a bit grainy, my apologies. He is a 2002 baby...

Warm Regards,
Sheila
Najim el Arab
Hi Sheila,

since last year we are proud owners of Nahdif (Al Metrabbi x Nabawia by Soufian, tracing on dam's side to Fawkia). He is one of the very few Al Metrabbi get in Europe and thus the only I have seen in the flesh till now.

Nahdif got first premium at the stallion licensing show with 18(!) for legs. He is in fact a very athletic horse with long neck, very fine face and enormous eyes. His face is not extremely "dishy" in the modern way but very elegant, resembling a bit to the old paintings of Bairactar. A very proud and intelligent horse.

We have owned his daughter Pride for about ten years now. She is out of a The Egyptian Prince granddaughter with some more Alaa el Din and Morafic blood on dam's side. We have crossed her to our Gleannloch stallion Abu Arab (Ibn Amaal x Bint Romanaa) and to Ansata Ramesses by Prince Fa Moniet and the foals are always very correct and of classic type.
Attached a photo of Pride.

greetings,

The Dovern Family
Aimbri
Hi Michele, Sheila and Nancy. Thanks to all of you for the kind comments about El Matrabb. He WAS a dream stallion and I miss him a lot.

Thanks to Michele for the beautiful card that you sent when Matt died, it was much appreciated. About the white that you got in your foals, I got some high white in El Matrabb babies too, and did a little research. Ana Gayah (The dam of El Matrabb and your mare) had a lot of white. Because she was a grey this is often missed, however I saw a photo of her as a 2 year old and she had a lot of white.

To Nancy, Hellooooo! How have you been? Sheila called and left me a message telling me about this site, and I tried it out for the first time today. My new stallion is Moon Sheine (El Hilal x Nafairtit (*Morafic x Bint Maisa El Saghira). I will attempt to post a photo of him. If it doesn't come through, check the AHA site under Stallions at Stud. Type in his name, and you should be able to see his picture. I purchased Moon Sheine in May 2003. At the time I was trying to tell myself that I didn't NEED another stallion, no matter HOW great he was. I was wrong. El Matrabb died 6 weeks later and I was certainly glad that I had Moon Sheine!

Jeannette Jardine
Aimbri Arabians
Hello Jeanette:

It's a long time since we attended the Event together and it's really nice to hear from you again. Moon Sheine looks wonderful. How lucky you are to have him. I love those El Hilal bloodlines. Sorry to hear about Matt, I have been keeping in touch via the grapevine (you know how that goes).

ADH Nadafe is no longer with us. I don't know if you knew that. We never did get another foal from her. She was terribly lame and we buried her up on the hill above the barn.

I'd love to see pictures of your Moon Sheine foals when they arrive.
Sheila:

Those ears must be an Ibn Safinaz thing. They are so cute! We had them on the colt from Imperial Dakilah who is an Ibn Safinaz daughter. I couldn't find anything in my picture box fit to post of the filly. When spring gets here I'll take some new ones. We are located in New Brunswick, near Moncton.
Hi Nancy... Yes, I think the tippy ears could very well be an Ibn Safinaz thing! lol! I do have much of his influence in my small breeding program now, and many of my babies tend to inherit these wonderful ears, large eyes and dishy heads along with very correct legs and good overall confirmation.

Najm El Arab, the lovely Dovern Family, thank you for your information regarding this line in Europe! And thanks for posting the lovely photo! The information you gave on Nahdif is great, as it is more conformation on this line and how it can be, or is, crossed. Do you happen to have a picture of Nahdif to post here as well?

I really, really need to get on the data source! blink.gif lol! I wonder where the Al Matrabbi line is located throughout the world, and how many offspring he produced.

It seems that many of you have crossed this line similar to the way I have, with the exception of the El Hilal influence. So, this crossing with Alaa El Din and Ibn Safinaz seems consistent as well. I am also assuming that some of you may offer some of your fillies for sale with this line in the future? I am scouting for possible future purchases for my breeding farm, which will possibly include a filly from this line. If you do, please contact me personally at sbautz@sasktel.net so that I may consider them.

Also, anyone wishing to post more pictures or observations on this line, please do!

With Warm Thanks,
Sheila Bautz
Sharabia
OH, and a big congratulations to Najm El Arab, the Dovern Family, on getting first premium at the stallion liscensing show!!! Again, if you can, please post a picture of your "boy" for us to see! biggrin.gif

With Warm Wishes, biggrin.gif
Sheila Bautz
Sharabia Acres
Najim el Arab
Hi Sheila,

attached you find the only quite good photo of Nahdif we have so far. It shows his big eyes that I love so much. This summer we will take new ones as soon as he looses his winter coat. At the moment he is out playing in the snow and teasing Al Shuhruf a bit at the fence...

greetings from Belgium !
bettyk
Does anyone have a photo of El Matrabb they could post? I'd love to see how he looks compared to Akkhir, another Ana Gayah colt (that also had a lot of white)...
Aimbri
Hello, I would be happy to post a picture of El Matrabb. He, himself, did NOT have a lot of white but he sometimes passed it to his foals.
Aimbri
Hello Betty K,

I hope that the photo of El Matrabb got through. It was taken in the summer of 1996, just prior to his winning the Region 17 Top 5 at halter. We also later showed him in performance and he was able to do well there too, in Show Hack, Country English Pleasure and Native Costume. It was a pleasure and an honor owning this horse for the last 8 years of his life. Thank you for your interest.

Jeannette
Sharabia
Hi Najim El Arab... Lovely boy! I would like to see more pictures of him when you have them. Looks like he has a lovely head and a deep jowl...

Betty, could you post a picture of Akkhir? That would be great if you could!

Jeanette, I hope you don't mind that I am posting another picture of El Matrabb here?

Also, I do have one of Al Matrabbi, but don't know who the photographer was so am unable to give that person credit for it. I wonder if that would be a problem if I did post it?

Sincerely,
Sheila Bautz
bettyk
Sheila,

I do have some photos of Akkhir, but they're buried Lord knows where! Maybe someone else will have one more readily available. On my computer the photo of El Matrabb is partially cut off. However, Akkhir was a bay (I'm guessing in the range of 15.1 or 15.2H--he may have seemed bigger than he really was) with an unusual white blaze marking on his face and lots of white on his legs. As I remember him, he had the same nice short back and excellent shoulder that El Matrabb seemed to have. His head was short and not very dishy; however, some of the foals that were crossed with Trapp's Nabiel daughters produced much more exotic heads. Many of those foals found their way to South Africa. Akkhir was a moving machine...a VERY powerful horse!
Sharabia
Thanks for all the contributions to this thread.

Hi Betty K! Hmmm, Ana Gayah lines crossed with Nabiel lines... Your post about the dam has reminded me about the importance of the dam's line here... Thanks for fanning the fire regarding this important issue of the dam line, which is the spark! And, thanks for sharing your observation on the crosses to Nabiel, as I do have a young mare with two lines to Nabiel in her pedigree arriving here this spring/early summer. So, now I will have more to consider!

Great mares are crucial to making great horses, such as Ana Gayah, Fawkia, and in other lines like Negmaa and Egyptian Belle, etc... They must too be acknowledged for their contributions. I must confess, it does urk me when someone believes the sire is solely responsible for a great foal. After all, it does take two! smile.gif

So, my next consideration are the females... Ah, the decisions of a breeder! lol! biggrin.gif

Sincerely,
Sheila Bautz
Sharabia Acres
michele013
Hi,

I've got 2 fillies out of Arabiyi and Hal Amir Ma (El Halimaar) 1 bay and 1 grey, Hal is also a Nabiel grandson on his mother's side and they have more dishy heads and larger blacker eyes, I think it is a very good cross. The Ibn Safinaz grandaughter out of Arabiyi also gave me a filly the same year and she is almost identical to the grey one.
I wanted to send a picture of Arabiyi last foal but it doesn't work.

Michele
Sharabia
Hi Michelle,

Gee, I wish you could post that picture... I am going to your website here in a moment though, to try and see if it is posted there!

Sounds like you all were on to something when breeding these lines using the combinations stated here, especially when adding the Nabiel influence. Everybody has been so generous in sharing their findings, thanks so much!

Now, what have you noticed in the way the lines discussed here mature? I have found that some lines mature very slowly, but this combination seems to grow at a nice steady pace. However, I am only observing one foal. Yet, he seems to grow at a steady pace. He hasn't had what I would consider any drastic, sudden growth spurts.

An example: My five year old stallion by Sheikh El Din out of Ramza Moniet (x Ibn Safinaz) was the cutest baby born here to date, not that they aren't all so cute when they are little, but he had that certain charisma that made people want to grab him and hug him. However, when he was about a year and a half, he still looked soooo young. Then he went through a ugly stage at two, and I mean Ug-ly! blink.gif lol! Including his beautiful head that became very plain. By the way, I have been told that the plainer the head looks at 2, the better. With Sheikh, this proved to be right as his head is now every bit as beautiful as he promised it would be as a baby. It also took him until about four to begin looking like a stallion as opposed to a "boy".

However, my colt I am discussing here with the Al Matrabbi line is developing a mature look already and he will be three this spring. He also has a lot of height to him already, and as I said earlier, his mother's face has greatly influenced him in the last month or two. I am curious as to what your findings are with this?

Sincerely,
Sheila Bautz
Sharabia
Najim El Arab, You stated that your mare, Pride, was a The Egyptian Prince granddaughter with some more Alaa el Din and Morafic blood on dam's side. The Egyptian Prince I have also considered incorportating here, but haven't to date...

The lines you have crossed with Pride, if it is not too much trouble, can you a post a picture of the resulting offspring? Also, do you mind sharing with us how many mares you have and giving us an idea of their lines?

Sincerely,
Sheila Bautz
Najim el Arab
Hi Sheila,

of course we like to share our mares with you all. We mainly breed SE horses, but also have some spanish and related. With pleasure we show you our SE broodmare band. I will seperate them by families.

At first here are the fillies out of Pride. The first 2 ones are by Abu Arab (Ibn Amaal x Bint Romanaa). I like these two photos because they show the similarity between the fillies. Amani is expecting her first foal by Ansata Ramesses this year. This baby will combine our three "old boys" in her pedigree, so we are very excited about it.

NEA Amani (Abu Arab x Pride)
Najim el Arab
NEA Pharaah Romanaa (Abu Arab x Pride)
Najim el Arab
The youngest daughter NEA Phaarisah (Ansata Ramesses x Pride)
Najim el Arab
Fl. Maroufa (Waseem Rou Halima x Saif Manam) is a halfsister to Pride on dam's side. Her sire was one of the last living sons of Ansata ibn Halima and out of the Babson mare Bint Fay Roufa. So far we don't have a daughter of Maroufa in our broodmare band, but are hoping for a filly by Ansata Ramesses this year.

Maroufa
Najim el Arab
The next female group we have only recently added. One of my favourites is the lovely old lady Ramses Nurel Tai (Ansata Abu Tai x Ramses Nurel Fayek), a halfsister to Ramses Maris.
We also own her daughter Rashaqa by Ibn Amaal, who will be bred to Nahdif this year.

Ramses Nurel Tai
Najim el Arab
Rashaqa (Ibn Amaal x Ramses Nurel Tai)
Najim el Arab
Another elder lady is Fl. Eshahbaa (Hassan S by Fikri x Shahd by Amlam Emam).
We also kept her daughter NEA Aliah Rou Halima by Fl. Najib, a stallion carrying Jamil, Ansata ibn Halima, Morafic and Babson blood.

Fl. Eshahbaa
Najim el Arab
NEA Aliah Rou Halima
Najim el Arab
And last our black girl Sorayya by Ali Zafir (Ruminaja Ali x Glorieta Zaafira) out of Suzi EAO (Mourad x Samarkand)
Oliver
Annyone interested in viewing photos of Akkhir
can see him in this discussion.
bettyk
Sharabia (Sheila),

You might want to do a search for discussions about Nabiel and about El Halimaar. Arabest Farm was extremely successful in crossing their Nabiel daughters with El Halimaar. Some Nabiel daughters can have a longer back, and El Halimaar was great for shortening that.

Najim,

Sorayya is beautiful! I saw her sire (Ali Zafir) at the Egyptian Event just before he was sold overseas. I loved him! I was especially intrigued with his "flea bites" which were black rather than the usual brown.
Sharabia
Hi Najim, thanks for sharing your beautiful horses with us! And your black has some great breeding, she is lovely! I would love to see how some of your mares cross with your Al Matrabbi son. Please do keep me posted! Also, we have one Egyptian Spanish cross filly here... I had purchased the mare and she came bred to a stallion with Spanish influence. I am very impressed with this cross, and have been told that it is considered the "golden" cross. I sure can see why! I would like to find a Spanish (related if need be) mare in the next couple of years to breed to one of my boys, as I see how lovely it is! BUT, first I need to build my herd of SE's!

Betty k., I will be doing more research on the Nabiel and El Halimaar influence. Thanks so much for your suggestion on this line!

Does anyone by chance have a picture of a resulting foal with the lines with the Nabiel influence to post by chance?

Oliver, thanks to for posting that link! Would it be okay if we re post Akkhir's picture again here? I won't until I have permission... Also, Arabest Awadi took my breath away on that thread! He literally sent a volt to my soul, something that does not happen! There is just something so wonderful, and mystical if that is the word, about him, and I need to research him as well if possible!

Sheila Bautz
bettyk
Sheila,

The Trapp's had very high hopes for Awadi, but he died at a very young age...a pity.
bettyk
Sheila,

I should have also mentioned...I don't know if you have access to any of the old Arabian Visions magazines, but the Trapp's always ran an ad at the front of it. They used the Nabiel/El Halimaar cross in the early to mid-90's. Abraxas Halimaar has that breeding, although he is not one of my personal favorites.
bettyk
Sheila,

My apologies for the multiple posts...here's a link to Arabest Zahra who was one of the Trapp's best producing mares. Her foals are always outstanding. http://www.second-wind-arabians.com/mares/...abest_zahra.php
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.