Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help With Arabic
StraightEgyptians.com Forum > Overview - Übersicht > Discussion - Diskussion
ck
Hi,

Can someone tell me how to translate the word "Vision" to Arabic?

Thank you for your time,
Chen
Majid
Hello Chen,

Vision can be translated to a couple of different words:

Roi`ya ( word is feminine gender )

Khayaal ( word is masculine gender )

I hope you are well!

Majid
ck
Dear Majid,

Thank you so much for your help.

Can I name a colt "Al Khayaal"? is this a nice name?

What about some synonym words to "vision" in arabic, is there are any?
It need to be something close in meaning to the word Vision.

Please help, I need a good name for a colt.

Best regards, Chen
Dana
Not an easy task... To determine a clear description of the word VISION is already diffcult, although everybody knows the meaning behind it. There are probably a few synonyms for it, like DREAM, IMAGINATION, PROHPECY, but all do not match 100 percent.
To my understanding 'Khayaal' means IMAGINATION, ILLUSION or PHANTASY while 'Roi`ya' (or 'Rui`ya') comes closer to DREAM, PROPHECY. Although the gender of this word is feminine it could be used for a colt. But in my opinion 'Al Khayaal' sounds nicer. wink.gif
Majid
Chen,

Dana is correct and her descriptions help explain the differences in meaning. It is difficult to think of an exact translation.

Vision usually refers to "seeing" with the heart and mind, rather than with the eyes ( although our eye doctor uses the word to imply seeing with the eyes during our visits).

To "see" in Arabic is "yara" which is a root word that relates to "roy`a" ( dream) ........... as Dana mentioned.

"Nadhar" and "Bassar" are both words that refer to "looking" or "sight or seeing." Of course, Nadheer ( pronounced "Nazeer" in local Egyptian Arabic) is derived from the word Nadhar.

Khayaal is usually used in a way that implies imagination or fantasy, and it would be my preference of names that are similar to vision from all of the above.

Thank you Dana, for expanding the discussion on the translations! We always learn something from further thoughts!

Majid
Dana
Thank you, Majid for your nice words. I like to contribute to my best although I have only "bassit" knowledge... wink.gif
Majid
Dana,

Your knowledge of Arabic is more than basic! You do have a good grasp of the language and when you post, you always have good comments!

Majid
Regality
What does the word Muluq mean and how is it pronounced in English. smile.gif
Dana
Well, this 'Muluq' could have different meanings and shows how difficult it can be to translate from a western written language into Arabic.. First, from the pronounciation alone it could mean the plural of 'Malik' (= King) but would then correctly be written 'Muluuk'. All the "u" spoken as such.
How do you pronounce it?

Neglecting the 2nd two "u" in the word, i.e. "mul-k', it would mean "Kingdom". However, the pronounciation would more sound like 'Mal-k'.
On the other hand, it could mean 'Mallaaq' (pronounciation 'a' instead of 'u' ) having the meaning of "Flatterer".
Then there is another meaning with a nearly similar pronounciation: 'Mallaak' which means "Owner". And another one: 'Mal`ak' meaning "Angel" or "herald".
So, you see it all depends on the pronounciation and/or they way it would be written in Arabic.

I do not have a 1:1 translation for ''Muluq" in this way of writing. But probably some of our native Arabic speaking friends in this forum possibly do. huh.gif
ck
Dear Dana & Majid,

Thank you so much for your help in translation "vision".
I think Al Khayaal will be a nice name for a colt. Can you tell the correct way to pronounce this name?

Best regards,
Chen
Dana
Chen, pronounciation is: AL CHAYAAAAAL - The CH like in "LeCHaim"... and with a long A after the Y.
Have a nice day!
Al Moussami-Bachir
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Dear Regality
"MULUK" Dana was kind and knowledgeable enough to give you all the possibilities with that word...Thanks Dana ,And As Majid mentionned in previous entry I also command you on your knowledge of the Arabic Language ..it is not an easy task...Thank you ..
This word should be written "MULUUK" means "KINGS"as Dana said it........... pronouciation= MOO-LOOK if the second "U" is not added then an english speaking person will tend to pronounce the second part of the word as "LUCK"
"MALIK" could be "KING"or OWNER but the plural of the word if it means "OWNER "is "MALLAKEEN"...so the translation given by Dana is correct "MULUUK=KINGS....
Good luck...
Dana
Thanks, Bachir!
I'm glad that you agree with my explanations. smile.gif
ck
Dana, Thank -you so much!!! biggrin.gif
Two more questions;
Is "Layyan or Liyyan" have any meaning in Arabic?
Can I name a colt: Al Hadiye

Thank you for your time,
Chen
Al Moussami-Bachir
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Dear Dana
You are welcome....
Dear Chen
with Dana And Majid's permission i will try to answer your two last questions.
1--LAYYAN-Are Arabic Layyan or Layyen means =soft-tender-supple pronounced LAH-YEN
Liyyan or better"Louyouneh" means Tenderness-Softness-Gentelness-Clemency pronounced LOO-YOU-NEH
These words are adjectives and are not sutable by themselves to be used as a name for a horse.....
2- Al Hadiye =AL HA-DEE YEH could be given to a colt it is a beautiful name ...the reason it could be used because their is always a follow up meaning with this word that is understood but not written ..I will explain ..If I visit your horses and ask you about a beautiful colt in the pasture you will tell me :I love this colt he is 'AL HADIYE MIN ALLAH"(THE GIFT FROM GOD)No need to write from.....in arabic,but it will be understood...That why it is proper to use it for a colt ...
A Filly Or A colt could be 'A GIFT"
I hope this help a bit ..
Al Moussami
ck
Dear Al Moussami,

Thank you so much for your help. This is why I love this forum; you can get so much information & help, from so many peoples. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
I think I will name the colt Al Hadiyeh. Hope the spelling is O.K. unsure.gif If not, please let me know.

Best regards and thanks a lot,
chen
Al MoussamiGuest
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Dear Chen
" Al Hadiyeh"is a beautiful name for a colt and you wrote it correctly....
Pronounciation: AL-HAH-DEE-YEH
Mabrouk
Al Moussami
oli
Please can someone translate the following two names for me? (not the meaning of the name - only the letters....)
One Name is NABIL but I don´t know which one.
Thank you for your help!
Oli
Guest_Al Moussami_*
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Hi OLI
THe photo to the right is NABIL
THe PHOTO to the left with a line under it is MAYMARAT under the line it says :
BINT NABIL(Daughter of Nabil)
I hope this will help
Bachir/Al Moussami
oli
Thanks a lot!!
Guest_Judi_*
ohmy.gif We had a surprise gift yesterday afternoon from our mare Neamat Allah. It was her first foal and she did not exhibit ANY signs of foaling.... so we went into town for the afternoon. Upon our return we found that she had foaled and had managed to foal right by the bottom of the door which does not go all the way to the ground. Yes... the foal was presented outside the door and managed to get up, go around the barn a few times (by looking at little hoof prints we could tell where he had been) and was laying in an empty stall when we returned!
Not only is this a big strong colt but he is a beautiful black with only a diamond shape on his forehead and a half coronet white marking on one hind leg. He is now thank goodness with mom who stood wondering what was going on. Thank goodness this colt was intelligent and the mare, well, she really didn't know what to think. We were frantic to say the least and we, seasoned mare watchers, were completely caught off guard with this surprise foaling mid afternoon.

For this beautiful black colt I would really like help with a name that would encompass his very exciting and very brave entry into this world. I love Al Hadiye but would love to have a name that would let people know that he was a very brave and courageous little guy and that he did it all by himself without mom!

Mom is Neamat Allah, dad is Ahsen El Serag and this is a gorgeous big black colt smile.gif smile.gif

Judi
Being new I hate to be asking so much from the people in this forum... Please help me! I just purchased 10 Arabians from a rescue auction and I would really love to know what the names mean and how to pronounce them. I can give them a loving home but I feel they deserve to be called by their names. Thank you all/any who may be able to help me!!!

Anaza Amir Marakk, 1999 Bay Stallion

MI Boomerangs Fajera, 2004 Gray Mare

SHS Khalimaarh, 1999 Bay Mare

MI Ansata Hilalfayek, 2002 Chestnut Mare

Harr Baadirah, 1995 Mare

Halinnaa, 2002 Grey Mare

Amberhaala Moniet DSA, 2003 Chestnut Mare

Sayyid Al-Sharaf, 2004 Chestnut Stallion

MI Boomerang Al-Shama, 2002 Bay Stallion

Sr. MI Nabiel, 2003 Bay Stallion
tiawarra
Hello Everyone,

I'm not certain if what I am looking for is actually Arabic or Nubian, but I believe it is Nubian.

It sounds like "ahdeelay", that means something like farewell or bon voyage.

Can anyone tell me how this would be spelt??

Thanks in anticipation, kindest regards, Debbie Comini, Australia
Guest_Al Moussami_*
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Dear Judi
Mabrouk on the new addition,may Allah keep him always in his sight ..That one is special
Take care of him and his Mom...
I took the liberty of choosing two names for that black beauty..
AL MUNTAZAR==THE ONE WE WAITED FOR ==AL MUN-TAH-ZAHR or
AL MOUDHESH==THE SURPRISING ONE or THE ONE THAT SURPRISED US..
AL MOOD-HESH
I hope these names are fitting with the occasion ..
Congratulations
Al Moussami
Guest_Al Moussami_*
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Hi Guest
Let me first thank you for your kind heart by rescuing these lovely animals .May Allah grant you all your wishes for that good deed..I will try to help you with the names that you gave us ..You must understand that many names were distorted because someone not knowledgeable with the arabic langage tried to add or subtract a certain sound from its original word ..This is my take on it:
ANAZA AMIR MARAKK= Anaza(stable name)Amir =Prince ,Marakk (Not Arabic)
MI BOOMERANGS FAJERA=MI Boomareng(stable name)Fajera=WICKED ONE
SHSKHALIMAARTH==Not Arabic
MI ANSATA HILAL FAYEK==MI Ansata(Stable name)Hilal fayek=High Moon
HAAR BAADIRAH the only thing i could analyse is that "BADR"mean Full Moon maybe they
thought for a mare we call her Baadirah...
HALINNAA ==Not Arabic the name could have been "Halimah===Mild,Tolerent
Amberhaala Moniet===first word not Arabic ...Moniet =Wish
SAYYID AL SHARAF ==THE MASTER OF HONOR
MI BOOMARENG AL SHAMA ==AL Shama mean "THE BEAUTY MARK"
SR.MI NABIIEL could be NABIL==Highly intelligent
Best of luck Guest I hope this helped a bit ..
Al Moussami
Guest_Susan_*
Al Moussami,
First of all let me thank you for your time and your kindness! My new extended family will now have names with some meaning behind them. I truly hope I haven't offended anyone by asking questions in regards to non Egyptian Arabians.
I raise Quarterhorses and have a little Welsh pony for my girls to ride. When I came across these cute, starved for attention and food horses I just couldn't walk away from them. So whatever their pedigree/bloodlines are doesn't really matter as i didn't purchase them to breed. I sat and watched them for hours today frolicking in the pasture. I can't say when I've had a better day.

Thank you once again, I really appreciate all you help!
Susan
Cheryl L
Susan, Thank you for taking on these horses. You will find that the egyptian arabians are very affectionate horses. The bay stallion Marakk is a very well bred animal, with royal heritage. These names will not mean anything to you, but, others here will know. His sire is Ibn El Mareekh and he is out of an Egyptian Prince dtr out of a Sakr dtr. Very impressive pedigree. Good luck with your new acquisitions.
Cheryl
Rahhal
Hello All ...

Judi congratulations .... I really like the story of your colt and how he was born outside and how he went discovering the world from the first day ... smile.gif

I think what my fellow Al Moussami suggested is a great name that really fits him perfectly ....

AL MOUDHESH : also means impressive and it is a great name for a colt.

AL SHUJA'A : means the brave ... but I think the first name fits him better ...

Why don't you post a pic of the colt for us to see? cool.gif
Guest_Al Moussami_*
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Dear Susan
You must not apologize for doing a good deed with these horses ..you are not offending anyone at the countrary you are teaching all of us a lesson in kindness and good judgement and for that we all thank you ..
You Friend
Al Moussami
Guest_Al Moussami_*
To My Friend Rahhal biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Thank you for helping Judi and the many readers on this forum ..I hope that you will always advise us with your valued input regarding the Arabic Langage.....My wish is that in a span of 10 years we will grace the show rings all around the world wiith Arabian Horses that Carry proudly their true Arabian Names..
Akhouk
Al Moussami /Bachir
Guest_Judi_*
smile.gif Thank you Al Moussami for your suggestions and of course Rahhal. Usamah through Ralph has kindly suggested Mahfooz Billah. We will toss around all these wonderful names and see what name fits him (little devil fits him best right now laugh.gif ) I will try to get some photos of this courageous guy in the next couple of days to post so that everyone can see how he looks (he thinks he is absolutely the best looking black colt to date biggrin.gif

Thanks again everyone smile.gif smile.gif

Judi
Abbasiyah
smile.gif Here is our very special guy! He looks like a dressage prospect, airs above the ground and look at that walk wink.gif Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Al Fawara
What a zest for life this foal has, maybe YALLA BINA (Let's Go!) might also be an option for a name, biggrin.gif Many Congrats, Sven
DebC
Is there anything equivalent to "bright light" (both feminine and masculine) in Arabic? My Arabic - English dictionary is so confusing on this particular translation.

Thanks in advance.

Deb C
Majid
Hi Deb C!

I would suggest Noor, for light. It is a popular name. It is usually a feminine name. Bright light doesn't translate into a name very well.

Judi, Beautiful colt you have there! Congratulations!

Majid
USAMAH ALKAZEMI
FOR BRIGHT LIGHT IT IS:

SATI,IH OR SATI,IAH FOR FEMININE cool.gif wink.gif OF COARSE IN ARABIC THE THE VOWEL IS PRONOUNCED AS EIN,SO IT WILL SOUND AS SATE3 OR SATE3AH,AND THAT UNFORTUNATELY DOES NOT EXIST IN ENGLISH ph34r.gif

YOU COULD USE NAYYER OR NAYYERAH AS WELL cool.gif
Abbasiyah
smile.gif Thank you Majid! This is a super nice colt, very refined, lots of type and movement smile.gif How is your Sachi filly coming along? (last years foal if I'm not mistaken).

Judi
Abbasiyah
Click to view attachment

Sven laugh.gif laugh.gif

Yalla Bina.... I called him this and he gave me the hoof!! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.